Anxiety and sleepless night, a vicious circle. Transforming a vicious cycle into a healthy one.
Anxiety often impairs children’s sleep and lack of sleep increases their anxiety…. According to a new study (3), homeopathy can be the solution to see more peaceful nights.
If you’re convinced already, you can click on the link below and we can discuss the best way forward, but if you want more information, you are welcome to keep reading.
Anxiety interferes with your child’s sleep…
A common symptom of children suffering from anxiety is their difficulty to fall asleep or to stay asleep. Difficulty to settle down, nightmares, night terrors can all be an expression of your child’s anxiety.
When someone is anxious the sympathetic nervous system is switching on our fight of flight response. Some of the main symptoms of anxiety are rapid heart rate, increased blood pressure, tightness of the muscles. It is therefore easy to see why anxiety can deprive someone from a good night of sleep.
… But sleep problems can reinforce the anxiety disorder
As suggested by a recent study (1), the sleep or lack thereof, has an impact on the level of anxiety. This study has estimated that the level of depression and anxiety in teenage boys was the lowest when they were having between 8- and 9-hours sleep. For the girls, the required sleep was between 7 and 8 hours a night.
What are the consequences of a chronic lack of sleep?
Sleep deprivation puts the body under physical stress and interferes with the body’s ability to perform its natural repair processes, but it also plays a role in the increase of inflammatory conditions and decreases pain tolerance.
Lack of sleep also has an impact on the emotional well-being as sleep is important to help the brain process the events of the day.
The regulation of our hormones is also dependent on sleep. If our hormones are not balanced this will have repercussions on our mood, appetite (sugar cravings, etc), immune system etc.
Our digestive system will also be impacted. IBS, diarrhoea and constipation can be aggravated.
All those consequences show the importance of a good night sleep.
There are many coping mechanisms such as breathing technique, reassurance which can be really helpful (2) but oftentimes they are not effective enough.
Homeopathy when coping mechanisms are just not enough
For those of you who are familiar with my blogs, you’ll already know that in homeopathy we treat the patient holistically, taking into account the whole emotional and physical history. A new study confirms that individualised homeopathy “produces significant effect beyond placebo in treatment of insomnia” (3)
There are many remedies which could help your child having a better sleep. Arsenicum, Cocculus, Bryonia, Causticum, Chamomilla, Coffea, Kali-carbonicum, Lachesis are just a few of those, especially if the sleep is disturbed because of anxiety.
A consultation with a homeopath is required to determine which remedy or remedies would be the most beneficial for your child. Book a free, no-obligation, 15-minute consultation with me to find out what this process involves and how it can help your son or your daughter.
Your child is only a consultation away from a better sleep.
Taking the next steps together….
- You can book a free 15-minute consultation if you have more questions on how we could work together in order to help your child https://sandragermayacuity.as.me/?appointmentType=9098070
- You can sign in on my Facebook group for more information on how homeopathy can help your child’s anxiety https://www.facebook.com/groups/homeopathychildrenanxiety/
- If you found this blog interesting, please do feel free to share it
(1) Sleep Duration Associated with the Lowest Risk of Depression/Anxiety in Adolescents: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4945315/
(2) Sleep and anxiety, Kids Health: https://www.kidshealth.org.nz/sleep-anxiety
(3) Efficacy of individualized homeopathic treatment of insomnia: Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S096522991830829X